The Misfortune of Marion Palm by Emily Culliton

"Marion Palm is on the lam."

Isn't that a great first line for a story? I read that line and knew I was going to be in for a surprising ride. Marion Palm isn't who you think she is, even from the synopsis whatever impression you may have of her character and personality will be totally different once you get to know her and turn that final page.

Written by Emily Culliton,  The Misfortune of Marion Palm is her debut novel and published by Knopf. I am so grateful for the copy they sent me to read and review! I am frankly still so impressed that this is Culliton's first novel, the writing and alternating story lines (including flashbacks), as well as the short chapters (all of which could have come across as choppy or disjointed) created a seamless view into Marion's life and helped the story move along. Truly a roller coaster of emotions, once I got to know the characters and Marion herself, I couldn't stop reading!

The Misfortune of Marion Palm is told through the view points of Marion Palm, her husband Nathan, each of their two daughters and even the detective on the case. Beginning with Marion, we learn of the embezzlement she committed while working at her daughters' Brooklyn private school and how quickly she was able to leave her husband and two daughters behind. Personally, I assumed I wouldn't be able to connect with her as a mother myself (I can't possibly imagine ever leaving behind my children!!) but by the end of the novel, I was actually rooting for her escape. The characters Culliton creates in this story are realistic in that they are all severely flawed and selfish. It was honestly hard to like any of them (even Marion) but yet the story itself and the actions of the characters made me want to keep reading. I had to know what Marion's fate would be in the end!

I gave this 3.5 stars on Goodreads and am again, so grateful to Knopf for the copy! If you're looking for a book that takes you to the heart of a family who is flawed by greed, selfishness and by a mother that is unhappy with her lot in life, this is your book! At times humorous (in a slightly tongue in cheek sort of way) as well as sad, The Misfortune of Marion Palm was really an entertaining book!

304 pages 
Published by Knopf Publishing Group 


Comments

Popular Posts