Why The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel made my entire Halloween

Thank you to St. Martins Press for my free copy! 

If you've been following along on my Instagram feed this month, you'll know I've been anxiously waiting to get to The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel by Alyssa Palombo since I saw it was being released. St. Martins Press graciously sent me a copy at the end of September and I spent most of October waiting for the last week of the month so I could start it. Because I JUST KNEW. I knew this book was going to be the perfect mood read for the week leading up to trick or treat and all of the Halloween festivities. 

The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel tells the story of Sleepy Hollow and a few of its inhabitants, primarily Ichabod Crane, Katrina Van Tassel, her dear friend Charlotte and of course The Headless Horseman. I was instantly taken in with the setting and feel of the story, moody October afternoons with clouds on the horizon as Ichabod and Katrina walk out of the woods telling ghost stories. Rumors about a friend who may also have witch like powers. A love affair that can only be fulfilled in the dark of the forest in the middle of the night. I could keep going! Instantly I was caught up in Ichabod and Katrina's love story, in Brom Bones' obsession with Katrina and my own suspicions as to what might happen between the three of them. Pair that with the ever present spooky October setting (even when it wasn't October in the story, it was hard not to feel that way) and I basically devoured this book. When I finished, I left the book on the table and found myself going back to pick it up twice that afternoon before remembering I was done. That my friends, is a very sad feeling indeed. 

I can't say enough just how perfect The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel was for me this past week. I really enjoyed reading it while baking pumpkin bread and Halloween cookies, while curled up on the couch after watching a too scary show with bats and pumpkins decorating my home. I have a strong feeling this will be a reread for me in October from now on! 

Comments

Popular Posts