Fall Reading: Witches, Magic, and Ghosts


I've been looking forward to the Fall season since the end of Fall last year (I spent quite a bit of last Fall getting into the swing of things with a new baby, part time teaching and just life). I've got my fabric covered pumpkins at the ready and a fresh stack of books to kick off my favorite season of the year! I can't wait!

I know these few months before December can mean different things for every reader. Thrillers and Horror stories abound and fit quite nicely with Halloween at the end of October. There was a time when these were my favorite books to pull of the shelf and devour in a few days. I find myself less pulled towards these as I get older, or at least in this season of my life at any rate. What I AM looking forward to curling up with as the days get a little cooler are stories about magic. Witches and ghosts and all those good things. If you want to get lost right along with me then do I have some amazing titles for you.

The titles below are ones I will personally be reading between now and the end of November. I've also added other titles, "honorable mentions", for further reading!


The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
Release date: Backlist
Published by Ecco books

I have had The Miniaturist on my shelves since October 2014! I remember passing it in the Barnes and Noble and thinking it sounded really good. Magical. Here we are! Four years later! And I am just getting to it but no less excited. Sometimes books find you at the right time and something about this one has been calling to me, which is why I reached for it when putting this list together. Mood reading in work!


The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel by Alyssa Palombo
Release date: October 2nd
Published by: St. Martins Press

I'm so excited for this Fall release! I have loved the story of Sleepy Hollow since I saw Johnny Depp portray Ichabod Crane in the movie theater when I was younger. Mist in the woods, witches and dark magic are the perfect recipe for a great story.



The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
Release date: January 2018
Published by: Flatiron Books

I have read so many great things about The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert. Dark and creepy with strong fairytale vibes, this story sounds just perfect to spend a weekend with curled up next to the fireplace or a few candles. I've loved reading through so many rave reviews and feel strongly this one won't disappoint!


The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston
Release date: October 2nd
Published by: St. Martins Press

Oh gosh, I have loved Paula Brackston's stories for years. Tales of witches and women with strong, independent stories waiting to be told. The Silver Witch was one of my favorites and I am really looking forward to what she has in store with her newest title! An antique shop, a ghost! One of my favorite things about Brackston's stories is that she takes you far back in time (in this case the 17th century) to meet someone connected with the present.

IF YOU LIKE THIS: 
The Forbidden Garden by Ellen Herrick 
The Fifth Petal by Brunonia Barry

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Release date: Backlist
Published by: Penguin Classic Deluxe Edition

Shirley Jackson is the queen of twisty, weird stories. Written in 1962, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a story that you can't quite put your finger on. Without giving too much away, I spent my first time reading it convinced of one thing only to be very wrong in the end. The story of a young girl, Merricat, and her family it will leave you wondering what has really happened and make you hesitant to use a sugar bowl again. And that is all I'm going to say about that! Read it.

IF YOU LIKE THIS: 
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurer
White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The Wilds by Julia Elliott
Release date: Backlist
Published by: Tin House Books

A collection of short stories! And that cover! I fell hard for this book and after reading reviews I was sold. It has honestly been sitting on my shelf since last September and I promised myself I would make room for it this Fall. Reviews hail it as a collection of dark, haunting adult fairytales and I can't wait to start reading



The Silent Companions by Laura Purce
Release date: Backlist
Published by: Penguin Books

I picked up The Silent Companions on a whim at a local bookshop on vacation this summer. I hadn't heard of it before and I didn't even look it up on Goodreads! So why is it on my list you ask?! Because it sounds CREEPY. Ghosts, a strange house. Sign me up! But only for Halloween weekend when I can tolerate it.

IF YOU LIKE THIS: 
The Grip of It by Jac Jemc
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The Witches of New York by Ami McKay
Release date: July 2017
Published by: Harper Perennial

In the spirit of honesty, I am about halfway through this book. It is a bit longer (at 526 pages) and on the heavier side (I also began it last October, shortly after having my daughter and while low on reading time). A historical fiction tale woven with magic and witches and darkness. There is a lot to love about this story so far, especially the two women who run Tea and Sympathy in 1880's New York. I'm looking forward to finishing this captivating story in the next few weeks!



Time's Convert by Deborah Harkness
Release date: September 18th
Published by: Viking Books

 Last but CERTAINLY not least is my most anticipated new release read for this season. Deborah Harkness returns with Time's Convert and the story of Marcus and Phoebe. If you've devoured the All Soul's Trilogy like I did (albeit a few years ago) then I know you will understand my excitement about returning to Harkness' writing and storytelling style. I can't wait!

IF YOU LIKE THIS:
The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston
The All Soul's Trilogy by Deborah Harkness
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Comments

Popular Posts